Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pickup comparison

This is a sweet video by Keith Merrow. He compares the Bareknuckle Warpig to the Seymour Duncan Invader, and the Bareknuckle Aftermath to the Seymour Duncan Distortion. These pairs of pickups have similar output. He used the same tone throughout the video to give a true comparison. You will probably have to listen closely to hear the difference. I am going to give my opinions on which I like better for each clip. I have the advantage of studio monitors, so I can hear more of a difference than through normal computer speakers.




"Modern Metal"
The Warpig and Invader sound so similar it's almost not noticeable. Seems the Warpig has a bit more low end on the thicker strings. Invader seemed to be more defined though. Aftermath was very clear. I could hear each note very well defined. The Distortion was more trebley. I liked that. Distortion for the win.

"Chugs and Chords"
Invader definitely beats the Warpig in chunkiness for this clip. I know I said the Warpig seemed to have more low end the previous clip, but for sure I hear a heaviness in the Invader here. Aftermath bites your face off. It's got that punch to it and it's awesome. Distortion is still cutting through with the treble. I love that. However, the Aftermath gives this pop to the low chugs that I just love. So, Aftermath for the win.


"Merica!"
It must be his pick attack because now I hear a defined bass tone in the Warpig over the Invader. I think it depends on what you are playing. These are all different styles within metal. The Invader seems to pop like a telecaster here - different from the previous "pop" I mentioned. Not really fond of that for metal. Not sure what to say about the Aftermath. It seems to pop a little like the Invader, but not as much. The Distortion pickup is very cool. Again, that trebley sound. It hits you right the face. Again, Distortion for the win.


"Death Metal"
It sounds like the Invader does not have as much presence as the Warpig. It's there, but sounds more in the background. I know it sounds weird hearing opposite opinions. It's like a ping-pong, but the picking styles of attack are different. So the pickups are going to react a little different. Aftermath equals clarity. I really like the sound. The Distortion sounds a little too muddy and run together. Aftermath for the win. It looks like it is between the Aftermaths and Distortions, for me, but let's keep going.

"Sk8r Die"
Okay, here I like the Invader better. I like the way it reacts to the pick attack versus the Warpig. You can hear the hot output of the Aftermath in this example. Close one between the Invader and Distortion. I can say I like the Invader the best because the Distortion doesn't seem to have as much reaction. Invader for the win.


"Solo'd Clips"
Okay this is the same as "Modern Metal," but now I can hear only the guitar, so a better take on my opinion here. I can hear more of a separation of the high notes with the Warpig, and better separation of the low and high notes combined with the Invader. It's like you can hear the clarity more with the Invader. Aftermath sounds very clear, but sounds like the gain is turned down. Again, the Distortion has that in-your-face treble sound. Maybe too much. I still say Distortion for the win. 


OVERALL - Distortion for the big win.
I like the way the Distortion pickup sounds from Seymour Duncan. It sits in the mix well and cuts through with its high end treble. It's really hard to judge, but I wanna say I would buy the Distortion pickup over any of them for what I want to mix and create in metal. These are all my opinions. I analyzed the sound clips over and over and this is what I bring to you. I don't claim to know all the EQs of the pickups, because I don't. I am just telling you what I like about each one in a different playing style. I will agree, however, the Aftermath does seem to have more control in its output. You saw throughout this entire post that these were "clear." Still, the Seymour Duncans are cheaper.

Thanks for taking the time to read.
-Brandon Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment